Maschinenpistole 40

The MP 40 was a submachine gun chambered for the 9×19mm Parabellum cartridge. It was developed in Nazi Germany and used extensively by the Axis powers during World War II.

Designed in 1938 by Heinrich Vollmer with inspiration from its predecessor the MP 38, it was heavily used by infantrymen, paratroopers, platoon and squad leaders on the Eastern and Western Front. Its advanced and modern features made it a favorite among soldiers and popular in countries from various parts of the world after the war. It was often erroneously called "Schmeisser" by the Allies, despite Hugo Schmeisser's non-involvement in the weapon's design and production. From 1940 to 1945, an estimated 1.1 million were produced by Erma Werke.

Service history

In service: 1938–1945

Production history

Designer: Heinrich Vollmer
Designed: 1938
Manufacturer: Steyr-Mannlicher, Erma Werke, Haenel
Produced: 1940–1945
Number built: 1.1 million (estimated)
Variants: MP 36, MP 38, MP 40, MP 40/1, MP 41

Specifications

Weight: 3.97 kg (8.75 lb)
Length: 833 mm (32.8 in) stock extended / 630 mm (24.8 in) stock folded
Barrel length: 251 mm (9.9 in)
Cartridge: 9×19mm Parabellum
Action: Straight blowback, open bolt
Rate of fire: 500–550 rounds/min
Muzzle velocity: 400 m/s (1,312 ft/s)
Effective firing range: 100 – 200 m
Maximum firing range: 200 m
Feed system: 32-round detachable box magazine 64-round with dual magazines
Sights: Hooded front blade